Most houses have exhaust fans, which are used for extracting steam, moisture, odour and dust particles from the air. They are very useful in the bathrooms it prevents mould on the walls and ceilings, which can cause health problems and affect the value of your property.
You need to make sure the cover is clean so it can extract efficiently and the motor runs smoothly preventing from overheating for safety purposes. A clean exhaust fan also looks much nicer.
- Screwdriver (may be required depending on design of your exhaust fan cover)
- Vacuum cleaner
- Citrus based cleaning product (can be purchased from local supermarket)
- Gloves (for safety)
Steps to follow:
- Turn off mains power to Bathroom, Laundry, Kitchen and anywhere else that has an exhaust fan that you are cleaning..
- Put on gloves (there could be spiders up there)
- Climb the ladder with SUPERVISION and pull off the cover (some covers have screws so you may need a screwdriver to release it)
- Bring the exhaust cover back down and vacuum the debris and wipe out the dirt and dust.
- If the cover has oil and fat deposits put it in the laundry trough and soak it with warm water and some bleach approximately for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it out and dry and put it back up again.
- If there are any fat deposits on the blades you can use citrus juice or anything that has citrus base in it and just wipe out.
- If you can’t use the ladder you can use your own vacuum cleaner to clean the exterior cover only if the wand isn’t long enough you can buy an extension wand from your local cleaning company outlets. You can Google search to find your nearest vacuum cleaner store.
- Make sure you take your existing wand to the vacuum store as some wands have different size fittings.
- You can also use cobweb which has an adjustable handle to clean the exterior cover only.
If you do not wish to clean the exhaust fans in your house yourself and you are in Melbourne’s Bayside such as Malvern, St Kilda, Toorak or Camberwell contact Elm Cleaning and we will do it for you (this incurs an additional cost outside of our usual home cleaning services)